Friday, July 19, 2013

Maybe I Will See Dead People

Last year around this time I was sporting some bright pink streaks in my hair.

I was having fun by being myself and playing around outside my comfort zone. 

This year I’m doing that in a whole new way- not with silly hair, but by taking a class that is wayyyyy outside most people’s view of “normal.”

But that’s how I roll, so here it is…I’m going to Laguna Beach in August to take an intensive weeklong class in mediumship.

As in, learning to talk to dead people.

Like “Long Island Medium” without the long nails and helmet hair.

I’ll be learning from a very famous and well respected (if you’re into this sort of thing) medium James Van Praagh.

I’ve followed his work for 20 years, and I love that he helps people with their grief and how he teaches about spirituality with so much love and so little ego.

I’ve had so many people ask me why mediumship fascinates me so much.

I’ll tell you why- it validates my belief in the after life.

I love how hearing a message from a departed loved one can help a grieving person with the healing process.

It proves to me that this is not all there is- that our existence has meaning and purpose beyond our every day life and that our spirits survive long after our bodies are gone.

It’s the next step on my intuitive journey.

This year I’ve learned even more new tools for reading energy that have broadened my career scope and deepened my skills as an intuitive coach.

I’ve always wanted to take this class, but I’ve never given myself permission.

When my friend Ama told me she was taking it, at first I was a little jealous.

And then I remembered what I tell my clients about jealousy…

“If you’re jealous of someone else, don’t be mad at yourself.  Let it be a sign that tells you what you want.”

Well that desire spoke to me loud and clear through my jealousy, and I started the process of breaking down all of my crappy thoughts that I was thinking about why now is not a good time to take this class.

“I can always learn later.”
“It’s too far away. Maybe someday he’ll come up here and teach it.”
“I shouldn’t spend the money on tuition and travel right now.”
“It’s kind of self-indulgent.”

When I hit on that last one, I knew it was time to call my own bluff.

The fact that it felt self-indulgent was how I knew it was good for me to put my money where my mouth is.

It feels so fabulous, exciting and nurturing to my soul to allow myself this gift.

Now Ama and I have two other friends (yay Carolyn and Mike!) going with us, and my husband Alex is coming to Laguna to do some art business with the galleries in the area.

Win, win, win!

We’re meeting Mike’s wife, our good friend and Reiki master Chellie Kammermeyer, for a day in Catalina- and we’ll be stopping over in Santa Barbara for my birthday before heading home.

Happy birthday to me!

So, I’m telling you all of this not just to keep you abreast of my summer plans, but to encourage you to do that thing that you keep saying you want to do, but just haven’t done it yet.

And to really own who you are and what you are interested in, even if you might be judged or ridiculed for it.

Because even if you lose a few people as a result of being true to you, I promise you there will be many more who will gravitate toward you because they really dig who you are and what you do.

Go forth and own your inner weirdo!

You are worth being “self-indulgent”.


If you don’t indulge yourself, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment